Closed Churches

Episcopal Diocese of Western New York
date
founded
date
closed
name of church
location
city
current status / comments
scramental
records

1824

merged with
St. John's

Grace Church

Lafayette & Congress

Buffalo

records at St. John's-Grace

no

1833

-

St. Peter's

-

Newstead

-

-

1835

-

St. Peter's

-

Darien

-

-

1837

1926

St. Clement's

Whethersfield Springs

Wyoming Co.

building burned c. 1926

yes

1854

1976

St. Ambrose Chapel

DeVeaux School

Niagara Falls

property sold to Niagara University; now owned by State of New York as part of Niagara Reservation State Park. School records with the Niagara Falls City Schools; some historic material at the Niagara Falls Public Library; some in the archives

yes

1854

1936

St. James (old)

Swan & Spring

Buffalo

Now the People’s Community Church of Christ

yes

1857

-

St. Luke's

Summer & Richmond

Buffalo

Now the Syymphony Bible Church; designed by EB Green

yes

1866

-

Trinity

-

Middleport

-

yes

c.1900

-

Mission of the Incarnation

Best & Filmore

Buffalo

gone: had been parochial mission of the Church of the Ascension- a few records with those of Ascension

-

1868

-

St. James

-

Johnson's Creek

-

-

1868

-

St. James Mission

-

Hartland

-

-

1872

1993

St. Mary's on the Hill

Niagara & Vermont

Buffalo

in private hands; hall rented to Abundant Life Scripture Center

yes

1872

-

St. Peter's

1086 Lovejoy

Buffalo

-

yes

1879

-

All Saints

Linwood & W. Ferry

Buffalo

for sale by Linwood church of Christ

yes

1880

-

St. George's Chapel

-

Hartfield

mentioned in Burrow's History

-

1885

-

St. Thomas

South Park / Elk

Buffalo

-

yes

1888

-

St. Bartholomew

Howard & Lewis

Buffalo

built on New York Central RR land

yes

1891

-

St. Stephen's

Bailey and Hazel

Buffalo

became new St. James;

yes

1893

-

St. Andrew's

-

Irving

-

yes

1893

1909

St. Barnabas

Riley St. & Roehrer

Buffalo

building gone; private home om site

yes

1896

1960

All Saints Chapel

Walnut & Vine

Lockport

now Deliverance Temple Church of God in Christ

-

1896

-

St. Paul's

-

East Randolph

-

-

1896

-

St. Clement's

Sussex (off Grider)

Buffalo

building sold to St. Philips in 1966 after it merged with new St. James to form St. Michael and All Angels

yes

1900

1927

St. Andrew's by the Lake

Olcott

Niagara County

destroyed by fire 1927 / Bishop Coxe Memorial / built by parishioners of Grace Church Lockport

-

1903

-

Good Shepherd Chapel

Slayton Settlement & Day Rd

off Rte 78 north of Lockport

under Grace Church, Lockport with occasional services

no

1905

-

Church of Our Savior

Modern Avenue

Lackawanna

building gone

yes

1906

-

St. Andrew's

?

Depew

-

yes

1906

-

St. Paul's

-

Darien Center

-

-

1907

-

Epiphany Mission

Willett St off Clinton

Buffalo

Now an American Legion Post

yes

1916

-

All Saints

-

Sinclairville

-

yes

1916

-

Holy Communion

Humboldt Parkway

Buffalo

Now the Memorial Baptist Church

yes

1920

1952

Diocesan Chapel

237 North Street

Buffalo

closed when "D" House moved to 1114 Delaware; building gone

yes

1920s

1920s

Church of the Redeemer

Versailles

Newtown

located on the eastern end of the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation

yes

1948

1973

St. James (new)

Burke Dr

Cheektowaga

merged with St. Clement to become St Michael & All Angels at the Burke Dr. location

yes

1948

-

St. George

Schuyler Rd

Derby

Highland-on-the-Lake area / a renovated garage

yes

1951

-

St. Barnabas

Crittenden Rd

Akron

unknown

yes

1958

1969

Chapel of the Holy Family

Lincoln Parkway

Buffalo

+B. Scaife's private chapel

yes

1965

-

St. Gregory

319 Longnecker

Buffalo

never organized/parochial mission of Advent, Kenmore

-

-

-

St. Nicholas

Hopkins & French

E. Amherst

never built

yes

??

??

Trinity

-

Akron

-

-

back to Archives